A European Documentation Centre has been situated in the James Hardiman Library since 1973. We receive selected publications of the European Union and its constituent bodies. The collection consisting of books, reports, legal reports and journals is located on the Ground Floor of the Library. The European Documentation Centre contains information about the following topics:
- European law
- European economic integration, monetary union, internal market and competition
- European political integration
- European social policy
- European regional policy, environmental and transport policy
Members of the public are welcome to use the Centre.
The EDC books, reports and series held can be identified via our Library catalogue.
For further information about the European Documentation Centre call the Law and Official Publications Office at +353 91 493359.
Typically the Centre receives a selection of publications from the following institutions of the European Union. Many of these publications can also be found online.
- The Commission (Directorate-Generals)
- Council of the European Union
- The European Parliament
- The Court of Justice
- The European Central Bank
- The European Investment Bank
- The Economic and Social Committee
- Eurostat Office
Below are some useful pointers for beginning European Research. All European Treaties, the Official Journal, Annual Report and Activities can be found online.
- Links to EU institutions
- Links to EU agencies
- European Commission Representation in Ireland
- ECLAS The Catalogue of the European Commission Libraries is a very useful source for all European topics.
- Eur-Lex This is the new law portal of the European Union. It replaces Celex which is no longer being updated but still can be a useful reference resource.
- European Parliament - Debates and Reports of the European Parliament are no longer published in hard copy and are only available on the Parliament's website (older material in print or microfiche is still available in the EDC)
- CORDIS - information on EU scientific and technological research and development
- SCADPLUS - Summaries of EU Legislation.
- EU Delegation to the United States - Europe from an American viewpoint, with a useful A-Z subject guide to EU web sites
- European Sources Online This subscription database is a very useful place to begin research on European related topics
- Business Source Complete This full text database contains many journals which deal with broad European economic and social issues