The Library provides access to all sorts of information resources to support your learning and research. You can search all of the library's collections through the Library Catalogue, or get more information on each type of information resource and how it might be useful to your studies below.
- Using the Library
Find your way
Learn more about the Library as a physical place, find top tips and answers to frequently asked questions (FAQ), find out about the study spaces and services available in the Main, Medical and Nursing & Midwifery Libraries, and if you are not a student or staff member of NUI Galway, you can find out here how to access the Library.
We're here to help
Library staff provide support, help, and training to enable you to get to grips with the literature of your subject and the Library's resources. We have staff with expertise on information resources in your subject area.
- Digital Scholarship
The Library welcomes opportunities to advance our Digital Scholarship. Our areas of contribution include content, technology, infrastructure, partnership and the practice-based expertise in our team.
Irish Regional and Provincial Newspapers
- The Library holds the current year's printed copies of almost all Connacht newspapers. Back runs of some of these titles are available on microfilm. Please check the Library catalogue by title.
- The archives of some Irish regional newspapers are available on the Irish Newspaper Archive database, accessible via the Library catalogue. You can find a tutorial on how to use the Irish Newspaper Archive here.
- Most provincial newspapers have websites containing partial or complete copy of their current editions
- Links to these can be found at Index Ireland (Media)
Irish National Newspapers
- Copies of most Irish daily newspapers are held for one week in the Newspaper Browsing area
- A set of the current year’s issues is retained in storage and can be requested
- The Irish Times can be accessed via the library catalogue
- The Irish Times Archive is available for searching on the Library catalogue and also on microfilm at 072.915, which needs to be requested.
- The Irish Independent and the Freeman's Journal can be searched on the Irish Newspaper Archive via the Library catalogue
- The complete run of the Irish Press newspaper (1931-1995) is available on microfilm and on the Irish Newspaper Archive via the library catalogue.
- Some Irish titles are also available on our online databases Nexis Newspapers & Business and UK and Eire Reference Centre, both available via the Library catalogue
- The Library holds the current year of The Times, The Guardian, and The International Herald Tribune in print
- The Times (London) Digital Archive and The Guardian/Observer Archive are available via the Library catalogue
- British Library Newspapers, Part 1: 1800-1900 are available via the Library catalogue
- International newspapers can be accessed at NexisNewspapers & Business via the Library catalogue
- Links to other international newspapers are also available at Online Newspapers
Newspapers in Microform
- The Library has a significant newspaper collection in microform, some located in the microform room on the ground floor, and some which are held in store and need to be requested.
- Among the collections are Irish political and radical newspapers in the twentieth century and Irish politics and society through the press
- Details of titles within these collections can be viewed by searching under the collection name on the Library catalogue
Other Newspaper Collections
- The National Library of Ireland Catalogue has a large searchable newspaper collection relating to Ireland
- The British Library Newspaper Library has the largest collection of Irish newspapers worldwide
If you have any queries please contact us at email@example.com
Library and IT Service Desk, Library
Tel: +353 91493399
Special Collections Librarian
Tel: +353 91492543
Research and Learning / Acquisitions Assistant
Tel: +353 91 493476
Research and Learning Assistant
Tel: +353 91493476