The Library provides access to all sorts of information resources to support your learning and research. You can search all of the library's collections through the Library Catalogue, or get more information on each type of information resource and how it might be useful to your studies below.
- Using the Library
Find your way
Learn more about the Library as a physical place, find top tips and answers to frequently asked questions (FAQ), find out about the study spaces and services available in the Main, Medical and Nursing & Midwifery Libraries, and if you are not a student or staff member of NUI Galway, you can find out here how to access the Library.
We're here to help
Library staff provide support, help, and training to enable you to get to grips with the literature of your subject and the Library's resources. We have staff with expertise on information resources in your subject area.
- Digital Scholarship
The Library welcomes opportunities to advance our Digital Scholarship. Our areas of contribution include content, technology, infrastructure, partnership and the practice-based expertise in our team.
The Irish Official Publications collection of the James Hardiman Library is available to all NUI Galway students and staff.
The collection is located on the podium floor of the Library and is accessible during Library opening times.
The Official Publications collection contains government publications of the modern Irish State from 1922 to date.
Typically these include:
- Publications of Government Departments and Commissions such as annual reports, policy documents, review bodies and other materials from 1922 to date
- Publications of selected Government Agencies including Central Statistics Office, Revenue Commissioners and Office of Public Works
- Oireachtas publications including Acts, Bills, Dáil Debates, Seanad Debates, Dáil Committee Reports and Official Reports
Official Publications may not be borrowed.
If you have queries about Official Publications please get in touch with the Law Information office using the details provided above.
The sections below explain our Official Publications collection in more detail with links to useful online resources.
Official Publications are divided into two collections and are located in the compact shelving area on the podium floor of the Library.
- Official Publications (OP): This collection constitutes of one off reports and publications.
- Post-1985 material is located in the compact shelving on the ground floor of the Library.
- Pre- 1985 reports and publications are located in Special Collections. These must be requested and consulted in the Special Collections Reading Room.
- Official Publications Serials (OPS): This constitutes runs of Official Publications that are classified as serials. Most regular annual reports from Government departments and agencies are part of this collection.
- Post-1985 runs of Official Publications serials are located in the compact shelving.
- Pre- 1985 runs are located in offsite storage.
The dewey number/shelf mark of Official Publication titles can be located by using the Library Catalogue.
Online Access via Department websites
Note that many of these publications from the last decade and longer will be available online from the relevant departmental website. A full departmental listing is available. Putting the title of the publication or report into Google will often quickly locate the document online as well.
Fulltext Access via the Oireachtas Library
The Oireachtas Libary has digitised all documents laid before the Oireachtas from 1922 to the present day. Most of the major Irish Offical Publications from the beginning of the state including annual reports can be accessed through the Oireachtas Catalogue (L&RS).
- Irish Statistics
- List of Government Departments
- List of Government Websites
- Irish Statute Book
- Oireachtas Website
- Dáil Debates