The Library holds a copy of most higher degree theses completed in NUI Galway (1997-present).
Copies of post-1970 theses presented in University College Galway (the University's title until 1997) are also held, plus some submitted before 1970.
Since 1990, theses have been recorded on the Library Catalogue. You can obtain a listing by School, using the following basic search option:
- In the 'Search' box, enter 'Galway theses'
- Add the name of the School, eg 'history'
- This example retrieves theses completed within the School of History
- Results may be refined by selecting options under 'Refine My Results' on the right hand side of the screen
Many pre-1990 theses have records on the Library catalogue, but some are recorded only in a card catalogue which is located in the Library basement. Please ask Library staff at the Customer Services Desk for assistance with any queries.
Theses may not be borrowed and can only be read in the Library. Note that some researchers have requested that their theses are not made available for consultation immediately or, in rarer cases, at all. The catalogue record will usually indicate if this is the case.
You can also locate details of theses submitted in other universities:
- Index to Theses records details of theses submitted for higher degrees by research in the universities of Ireland and the UK, and a separate search for Irish theses can be carried out in a sub-collection.
- EThOS Electronic Theses Online Service offers free access to the full text of selected UK theses.
- ProQuest Dissertations & Theses - This database is the world's most comprehensive collection of dissertations and theses from around the world, spanning from 1861 to the present.
- ProQuest Dissertations & Theses: UK & Ireland - This database is the most comprehensive available record of doctoral theses from the United Kingdom and Ireland. The collection offers the most comprehensive available listing of theses, with abstracts accepted for higher degrees by universities in the United Kingdom and Ireland, since 1716.
- Networked Digital Library of Theses and Dissertations - a global digital library of theses and dissertations
- Details of theses in the collections of other Irish universities can be searched using their library catalogues.
You can contact the Inter-Library Loans service if you wish to read a copy of these theses.
If you have any queries please contact us at email@example.com