The Library provides access to all sorts of information resources to support your learning and research. You can search all of the library's collections through the Library Catalogue, or get more information on each type of information resource and how it might be useful to your studies below.
- Using the Library
Find your way
Learn more about the Library as a physical place, find top tips and answers to frequently asked questions (FAQ), find out about the study spaces and services available in the Main, Medical and Nursing & Midwifery Libraries, and if you are not a student or staff member of NUI Galway, you can find out here how to access the Library.
We're here to help
Library staff provide support, help, and training to enable you to get to grips with the literature of your subject and the Library's resources. We have staff with expertise on information resources in your subject area.
- Digital Scholarship
The Library welcomes opportunities to advance our Digital Scholarship. Our areas of contribution include content, technology, infrastructure, partnership and the practice-based expertise in our team.
How we help
- Digitisation and digital preservation, often of archives and special collections
- Metadata creation and enhancement for linked data, exchange and reuse
- Assignment of identifiers to promote discovery
- Hosting of digital collections in library repositories
- Creating digital exhibitions
- Open access dissemination of research outputs
- Management of research data
- Curation of born-digital collections
- Advice on copyright , digital rights management and the application of standards
- Participation in text mining, data analysis and geographic information systems (GIS) projects
- Provision of spaces, tools, equipment and training for digital scholarship
Digital Scholarship is an umbrella term used to define a set of functions and services offered to enable newer forms of scholarship in universities and other research enabling institutions. This is often within the digital arena and can encompass: library-focused research support, open access, digital repositories, digital exhibitions, project management, digital publishing, metadata, impact, discovery, digital preservation, identifiers, copyright, data management, and research metrics. It can also include other activities such as interface design, visualisation, text analysis, encoding, statistical analysis, database development, 3d modeling, and the creation of software for scholarship. This list and the term Digital Scholarship is fluid.
About the Library’s digital scholarship enablement strategy
The Library’s Digital Scholarship Enablement Strategy will:
- enable students and staff to obtain assistance on emerging methodologies, analyse data and share results in new ways
- create partnerships campus-wide and enhance the teaching, learning, and research process in every academic discipline
- empower the next generation of scientists and scholars to be properly equipped to create new knowledge in a digital environment – and to seek new solutions for a better future
- familiarise students with the tools they need to make an impact in today’s world
- empower the Library to preserve new forms of scholarly information in perpetuity