The Library provides access to all sorts of information resources to support your learning and research. You can search all of the library's collections through the Library Catalogue, or get more information on each type of information resource and how it might be useful to your studies below.
- Using the Library
Find your way
Learn more about the Library as a physical place, find top tips and answers to frequently asked questions (FAQ), find out about the study spaces and services available in the Main, Medical and Nursing & Midwifery Libraries, and if you are not a student or staff member of NUI Galway, you can find out here how to access the Library.
We're here to help
Library staff provide support, help, and training to enable you to get to grips with the literature of your subject and the Library's resources. We have staff with expertise on information resources in your subject area.
- Digital Scholarship
The Library welcomes opportunities to advance our Digital Scholarship. Our areas of contribution include content, technology, infrastructure, partnership and the practice-based expertise in our team.
External Membership Form
Due to increasing student and staff demand for space and resources, external membership of the James Hardiman Library is limited to individuals who have a specific higher level research requirement, a professional / regulatory advancement requirement to access the Library collections and use Library resources to assist with their research. Applicants are asked to provide detailed information on their area of research and the reason they require access to the Library.
This process is designed to ensure we continue to support staff and students of NUI Galway while assisting external individuals who require access to our collections to meet their specific higher level research need.
External members have access to:
- Over 500k books and 600+ current print journals.
- A large collection of over 50,000 e-journals and databases using two designated PCs within the Library
- Individual study spaces
- Document delivery of journal articles, books and other material from other libraries. Please note this service incurs an additional cost of €20 per item
- Borrowing of material, currently set at 4 items for 2 weeks. Please note this service incurs an additional cost of €90 for 6 months or €180 for 12 months
External members do not have access to:
- E-journals and databases from off-campus, (external users are not permitted access from outside the library due to the terms of publisher/provider license agreements).
- The Library Reading Room