The Library provides access to all sorts of information resources to support your learning and research. You can search all of the library's collections through the Library Catalogue, or get more information on each type of information resource and how it might be useful to your studies below.
- Using the Library
Find your way
Learn more about the Library as a physical place, find top tips and answers to frequently asked questions (FAQ), find out about the study spaces and services available in the Main, Medical and Nursing & Midwifery Libraries, and if you are not a student or staff member of NUI Galway, you can find out here how to access the Library.
We're here to help
Library staff provide support, help, and training to enable you to get to grips with the literature of your subject and the Library's resources. We have staff with expertise on information resources in your subject area.
- Digital Scholarship
The Library welcomes opportunities to advance our Digital Scholarship. Our areas of contribution include content, technology, infrastructure, partnership and the practice-based expertise in our team.
Finding your Way Around
Finding Your Way Around
The Library is spread over three floors. For anyone with mobility problems, there is a lift that serves all floors. As you enter the Library, you will be asked to show your University ID to the Library Steward on duty. If you are a visitor, staff will direct you to the Library & IT Service Desk to enquire about access.
Who can help?
- Staff at the Library & IT Service Desk will be pleased to help with any queries.
- Staff in the Information Office to the left of the entrance can help with specialised enquiries. They cover several subject areas: arts, social sciences, Celtic studies, science and engineering.
- There is also an Information Office to the rear of the ground floor, located within the Law Collection. Here you will find the information staff for law and business.
- Information staff are also based in the Nursing and Midwifery Library extension to the James Hardiman Library.
- Research Support staff are located on the first floor.
- There are self-check machines on all floors of the Library for the loan and return of books.
- You will find photocopiers on all floors.
- Study spaces, with WiFi access throughout.
- Group study rooms.
- Special Collections and Archives are located on the ground floor.
- Law materials are shelved on the ground floor
- The first floor houses books and journals on arts, business and social sciences.
- The second floor houses books and journals on science, engineering, health sciences and computing
- Please see our for help with finding the books or journals you need.