The Library provides access to all sorts of information resources to support your learning and research. You can search all of the library's collections through the Library Catalogue, or get more information on each type of information resource and how it might be useful to your studies below.
- Using the Library
Find your way
Learn more about the Library as a physical place, find top tips and answers to frequently asked questions (FAQ), find out about the study spaces and services available in the Main, Medical and Nursing & Midwifery Libraries, and if you are not a student or staff member of NUI Galway, you can find out here how to access the Library.
We're here to help
Library staff provide support, help, and training to enable you to get to grips with the literature of your subject and the Library's resources. We have staff with expertise on information resources in your subject area.
- Digital Scholarship
The Library welcomes opportunities to advance our Digital Scholarship. Our areas of contribution include content, technology, infrastructure, partnership and the practice-based expertise in our team.
Group Study Rooms
Group Study Rooms
Group study rooms are available during Library opening hours to registered students who wish to work together on projects and assignments. The rooms are equipped as follows:
- Internet PC with Microsoft Office
Locations - James Hardiman Library
- Three rooms available on Floor 2 of the James Hardiman Library
- Three rooms available on Floor 2 of the Nursing and Midwifery Library
Note: Rooms accommodate a maximum of six people and there must be a minimum of two people.
Rooms must be booked online via the Library Catalogue by following these steps:
- Sign in using your CASS ID and password
- Search for Group Study Room
- This will bring up a list of Group Study Rooms available for booking
- Select which room you would like and click on Request
- Select the date you want to book.
- Select the time slot you need. Each time slot is for 1 hour but you can book up to 2 slots.
- Click on Request.
- Booking Group Study Rooms - Illustrated Guide
If you wish to check your booking, check My Library Account. If you no longer need the room you've booked, please make sure to Cancel the request in My Library Account so that the room will be available for another student.
Collecting and returning the key
Keys, along with white board markers/erasers, can be collected from the Holds Request Collection Room located behind the Library & IT Service Desk in the foyer on the Ground Floor of the Library only by the person who made the booking.
This is a self service process -
- You must know the number of the room you booked. Go to the Hold Request Collection room at the time you have booked the room.
- Pickup the pack for the room.
- Borrow it like a book using the self issue machine in the room only.
- Go to the group study room and when finish return to the Hold Request Collection room.
- Choose Return Group Study room from the self issue machine.
- Place the pack in the V shaped area and when complete place the pack back in the same holder you removed it from earlier.
First-Come First-Served Group Study Area
The Group Study Area on floor 1 of the James Hardiman Library provides a space for multiple group study. WiFi is available throughout and the fixed tables have power sockets. Whiteboards and an LCD Screen with laptop hook-up are also supplied. Group Study spaces in this area are available on a first come, first served basis and may be occupied for as long as required.